The History Of The Hotel
As early as 1889, there were plans for a building that would house both town halls and city hotels. In 1895, architect Emil Befwe presented a number of sketches as a basis. In 1898, however, it was decided to build a separate hotel.
The Early Years
The granite foundation and the terrace began to be built. But construction came to a halt at the turn of the century due to financial difficulties.
It was not until 1911 that work resumed according to new drawings by Gustaf Sällström from Eskilstuna. The inauguration takes place on January 13, 1913 in the presence of the governor. The Herborg soloist band performs during the three-hour dinner, followed by dancing.
The property contained Systembolag under the terrace, on the street level party room entrance, billiard room and second class café in the current lobby. Second class dining room, the ship's basement, partly in my office, Livbojen and current toilets with Livbojen's entrance. Shared coffee kitchen.
Portierloge, Reception was located in the current restaurant wardrobe. Staff dining room, kitchen, sideboard, dry cleaning, laundry room in current staff rooms. The upstairs with its own entrance, cloakroom, toilets, party room with music balcony, three lounges, ladies' lounge, corner lounge, current dance floor, club, current Blue Room.
Dining room between the pillars, café with stage for musical entertainment in the current premises Desirée. The stage was located in the current disk room.
Private entrance with cloakroom, toilets, a lounge, café in the current Gallery and kitchen rooms. Two stairs up, large light hall, nine guest rooms, three unpacking rooms with sleeping alcove, eight rooms with sleeping alcove, cleaning brush room and toilets.
Three stairs, two unpacking rooms, 12 guest rooms, six rooms with sleeping alcoves, toilets, brush rooms.
The following year, 1914, it was planned to build a theater building in connection with the City Hotel, connected to the hotel building by extending the current Gallery.
However, the plans were never realized and even today Örnsköldsvik is waiting for its theater building.
In 1915, a farmhouse was built with a car garage, car park, harness room, manure room, stable.
Laundry-lack-ironing room and staff room. Coal and ice storage.
In 1927, billiards and a café were closed on the street level, and unpacking rooms were furnished.
In 1937, Skeppsbrokällaren was moved up to the current Gallery, kitchen and cold bar premises.
The premises were furnished as unpacking rooms in 1941 and bathrooms were built on floors one and two.
The entrance was moved to its current location.
The hotel was continuously equipped, awnings were installed, rustic furniture had been procured, loose walkways were changed according to the seasons.
In 1939 Sara, Stockholmsdistriktets Allmänna Restaurang Aktiebolag took over hotel operations. The party rooms were refurbished and the class divisions of class one and two were removed.
The Later Years
In 1955, the alcohol restrictions ceased, the Swedish people had to decide their own alcohol consumption.
The third-class restaurants in the country had run out, Skeppsbrokällaren's need for premises decreased.
The alcohol authorities instituted food compulsion in the restaurants and created an ornithological miracle, a so-called "beer goose", "sandwich" to order strong beer and spirits in restaurants.
In 1960, the hotel's first hotel cash register system was installed.
Between 1961 and 1965, the hotel was restored from street level to attic. Kitchen and sideboard were moved to the current location. Skeppsbrokällaren with its own entrance in the current Gallery.
Systembolaget moved out, unpacking room with sleeping alcove and suitcase storage was furnished.
Offices were moved down from the current washroom to the Lobby and reception to today's IT room.
The current wardrobe was furnished as a TV room, the economy rooms were demolished.
52 rooms were equipped, a small number received a shower and bath, After water damage, the underlying restaurant premises received a slight facelift and 80 new armchairs were acquired.
In 1966, the new cocktail bar was built and inaugurated, a novelty for our country end.
In 1970, on the fourth of September, Pub Trav In was inaugurated, the province's first pub with serving light dishes of beer, all in the spirit of trotting. We established Kuskligan, direct contact with Solvalla and other trotting tracks.
In 1972, all plaster was knocked away from the façade, plastered, windows and roofs were refurbished.
In October 1974, the dining room bar, pub six adjoining rooms was completely destroyed by a devastating fire.
Major devastating property damage, fortunately without injuries despite full hotel. The restaurant was reopened in February 1975. The premises were renamed the Gallery, Carljohan, Desirée.
The offer was then unique for a City Hotel, varying activities seven days and evenings a week. Always food of the highest quality. Roasting turn Monday, Flaming Wednesday, Friday shrimp festival.
Orchestra dance every night of the week except Sundays when family dinner was served.
In 1977, the entertainment offer was supplemented with Sweden's then first disco at Stadshotell.
In 1978, the Exodus bar was inaugurated with a centered bar counter, exciting food apparently seems Harry's.
In 1979, three packing rooms were converted into family rooms and a conference room on the street level.
In 1984, the reception and lobby were moved to their current location. Men and women toilet a tr. up was moved to its current location. The blue room was furnished as a conference room.
Current so-called Folksamhuset was completed in December 1984, 55 hotel rooms including suites, sauna and solarium.
1986-1987, all hotel rooms in the older property, new furniture, carpets, TVs were completely renovated. Tiles and ceramic tiles in bathroom. Booking data, SHS was installed.
In 1988, two panoramic rooms with whirlpool tubs were added, six attic rooms in Folksamhuset.
The restaurant dance failed, Wednesdays dance-free. The restaurant was refurbished, the dance floor was moved up to be combined with the Festival Hall's activities, a sound ceiling was installed.
The gourmet department with its own ventilation and equipment for 40 people in the Gallery.
Desirée, top class food, Brasserie Artist with Ernie's bar inaugurated. Exciting dishes and drinks from all corners of the world, still walkable.
1992 forced marriage between Sara and Reso, arranged by the then owners Kf - Procordia. Reso bankrupted Sara in May 1993.
Statt, which was profitable, was quickly bought together with five other attractive hotels by financier Asmund Haare.
In the 90's it was a popular place for nightclub guests. It was full of people queuing to get in and dance at the city's hottest entertainment venue. It lasted until the 2000s.
Until 2014, the restaurant was run by an external company.
In 2018, the restaurant was reopened under the patronage of the hotel. But unfortunately had to close in 2020 when the pandemic struck. We were happy to announce that the restaurant reopened on July 12, 2022.
Plans for a renovation had also begun but had to be put on hold. In 2022, we started to renovate some rooms in the property.
By Hotel director Eire Lagerqvist & Monica Lindmark