Casa de Campo Park
This is an enormous green area covering 1,722 hectares, located just outside Madrid. Philip II acquired this property –including a mansion and the land– in around 1560 or 1561. The estate stands opposite the outcrop overlooking the Manzanares River, and once belonged to the noble Vargas family. He later converted it into a Renaissance villa for private rather than official use, and surrounded it with beautiful gardens, a reflection of his tastes.